Saturday 28 July 2012

Ain't no party like a Ghana Bar Association party

It so happened that Friday was both the end of my internship and the end of the legal year in Ghana (I don’t wish to imply that the courts are somehow unable to function in my absence, but it can't be a coincidence). 

To mark the latter – and no doubt the former as well – the Ghana Bar Association held a party.  It was a very enjoyable, relaxed affair held in the lovely gardens of the GBA offices in Accra.  There were lots of tables and chairs set out under trees (each chair was draped in white satin and tied with a big bow – from behind it looked like everyone was sitting on a debutante) and waiters were wandering round with drinks.  A delicious buffet meal was served.  Loud – very loud – music was playing right from the start, and people were soon dancing. 

I was glad to have the opportunity to spend some time with people that I knew from the office and from elsewhere as well as to meet new people.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was among the last to leave. 

It was a fantastic way to end what has been an amazing and inspiring month in Ghana.

The festive scene at the GBA end of legal year party

Mellisa, the pupil at Sam Okudzeto & Associates, and her friend Dzifa

Me and Nene Amegatcher

Me and (from L to R) Lester, Dominic, and Patrick - all from Sam Okudzeto & Associates

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tessa,
    My name is Jake Mobilian, I'm an Ohio University student current embarking on a project to examine the juvenile justice and child protection state of affairs in Ghana. I've found your blog very helpful and was hoping to conduct a short email interview regarding your experiences and findings.
    If you're willing, you can reach me at jm357511@ohio.edu.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete